0330 223 2740 Book a demo
Farda Healthcare UK Radar Healthcare US
Audit Management Software by Radar Healthcare

FREE WEBINAR 29/02 at 12pm: Bring your intelligence to life to drive patient and resident outcomes - hosted by Gillian Leng CBE

Register now

Our whitepaper, "Incident Reporting in Secondary Care," is out now

27 October 2022

Our Incident Reporting in Secondary Care whitepaper offers an in-depth analysis of reporting within secondary care and its effects on patient safety. We have taken a look into the current state of incident reporting: the good work being done, the concerns across the sector, and how we can all aim to improve the situation.

The report was conducted using a panel provided by SERMO from its database of UK Nurses and includes the views from 100 nursing staff members working in hospital wards across the UK. Those surveyed work with hospital in-patients daily and are responsible for reporting safety and regulatory incidents involving patients to senior colleagues.

Read the report

Why was this produced?

The NHS has been prioritising patient safety for the last few years, with the patient safety strategy focusing on three main aims: Insight, Involvement and Improvement. Because of this, 1,000 extra lives could be saved along with a reduction of £100 million in care costs each year from 2023/24.
Secondary care is yet to catch up on these goals. We chose to commission this report to get a glimpse into where they are today in regard to reporting, and to look into how we can work towards making improvements.

Whatever the topic of the event, incident reporting provides vital insight into what can go wrong in healthcare and the best ways to improve. A well-defined reporting process and positive culture, combined with using a digital risk management system, can be transformational for primary and secondary care.

Key statistics

Our survey’s results showed some very promising results: 92% of secondary care nursing staff say they log or report incidents immediately. Although, over a quarter of nurses (26%) only reported them verbally to senior staff who log the incidents themselves. Some (9%) said they passed a handwritten report to senior staff. This meant in total 35% of nurses report incidents to senior staff who then have to log the incidents themselves. A small number (6%) of nurses had to wait until the end of their shift to report at all.

Staff felt that on average 40% of their reports don’t lead to better patient outcomes. The vast majority of ward nurses agreed that they needed more time (95%), access to the right technology (97%), and extra training (83%) to report incidents.

With further in-depth analysis, we can look at the reasons behind these findings, and their effects on patient safety.

Find out more

Staff engagement involves much more than merely giving people the means to be able to report something, good or bad. If they get feedback on what they report and understand the lessons learned, they truly get a sense that you are taking it seriously and are taking action, and that will drive positive change.

Paul Johnson, CEO, Radar Healthcare

To read more about our findings, you can download our Whitepaper through the page below.

Go to page

How can Radar Healthcare help you?

At Radar Healthcare, we believe in making a difference. We were the first supplier to pass LFPSE testing with NHS Improvement and partnered with Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust as the first to integrate the system.

Our award-winning risk, quality, and compliance software is here to help you deliver better healthcare outcomes from day one. Our main aim is to improve patient outcomes and safety, creating a safer experience for all patients. We understand the day-to-day pressures and challenges faced, which is why we are constantly evolving our software to stay on top of the latest requirements.
To learn more, contact us via the form below.

Book a demo